The Little Big History of Alkaline Batteries
Future Construction of Alkaline Batteries
- In the future, carbon nanotubes may be used as a replacement to zinc in today’s alkaline batteries because of the multiple benefits that it has over the modern battery.
- One of these benefits is the storage capacity of alkaline batteries, which will double in size.
- In addition, carbon nanotubes have excellent durability compared to zinc, so the tubes will be able to increase the length possible of the battery.
- For now though, carbon nanotubes are too expensive to mass produce; the carbon nanotubes take too long to make. A single laboratory will make around a half of a gram of carbon nanotubes daily.
- Once a faster and more efficient process is created for producing carbon nanotubes, alkaline batteries will be able to have a higher storage capacity and longer life.